14 November 2015

This Blog is Useless Without Pics!

I am five posts into this blog now, and I've come to the realization that the web is such a visual experience, even a blog purported to be about improving one's writing suffers from a lack of pictures. So here you go:
eggs in a water bath
Everything is awesome!
I was at Legoland California recently, and noticed this while getting lunch. It's an immersion circulator keeping their hard boiled eggs at serving temperature (and just out of the "danger zone") in a water bath. Presumably, they cooked the eggs with a circulator as well, based on their appearance in my bowl of "ramen" that I had for lunch.

This is exciting to me, since it indicates the acceptance of Modernist techniques at what might be the lowest level of culinaria -- the theme park food vendor. That is to say, Modernist tools are inexpensive enough that they can be introduced in areas where margins are everything. Though looking at the picture, Anova might want to beef up their clamp some (or sell a replacement) so the cooks don't have to resort to zip ties to hold the circulator in place due to a part failure.

Now if they could somehow make the food delicious...